This scholarship is named after Anthony H. Brown, an accomplished Cleveland area actor and musician who honed his skills at his alma mater, Bethune-Cookman University. His leadership and efforts, as Council President, has increased the awareness of HBCUs to the public, educators and elected officials in the community as well as encouraging fellow HBCU alumni to become active with their local and national alumni associations.
This scholarship is intended for the purpose of providing financial benefit to a deserving Greater Cleveland, Ohio area (Cuyahoga County) student matriculating at any of our Federally-recognized HBCUs whose major is based in the Performance Arts or Communication, to include but not limited to:
The 2018 Anthony H. Brown HBCU Arts Scholarship Guidelines
- $2,000.00 – Currently enrolled undergraduate HBCU Student, to support tuition, room & board and other fees associated with a student account to be applied as those “last dollars” after all other financial aid has been applied.
- 2/19/2018 12:00 AM EST
- 4/27/2018 11:59 PM EST
- Cumulative 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Performance Arts or Communication, to include but not limited to, Acting/Theatre, Creative Writing, Dance, Television/Radio Production, Mass Communications, Film/Screenwriting, Vocal/Instrumental Theory/Performance
- Any accredited public or private Historically Black College or University.
- Fall 2018 Term/1st Semester and Spring 2019 Term/2nd Semester.
- Check will be disbursed upon verification of enrollment and GPA for the commencing academic term.
To be eligible for this one-time award, a student must complete the application and submit (electronically in PDF form) verification of the following:
Samples of Work
- Acting/Theatre Arts: A video sample (3-5 minutes in length) of your performance or monologue in a play. If you are applying for a scholarship to study costume or set design, provide visual documentation of your work in .jpg format.
- Creative Writing: A sample of 3 poems, a chapter of a book (8-10 pages) or short story written by you.
- Dance: A video sample (3-5 minutes in length) of you performing.
- Television/Radio Production: A video or audio sample (3-5 minutes in length) of a television, film or radio production that you have either performed in and/or produced.
- Mass Communications: Since this area of work/major is broad, student will need to choose another category and submit that as a sample of work.
- Screenwriting: A script (8-10 pages) written by you.
- Vocal, Instrumental, Theory and/or Performance: A video sample (3-5 minutes in length) of you performing a piece of music.
For More Information:
Tosha Hudson, Chair
Mail Official Transcript To:
Cleveland Council of Black Colleges Alumni Association
ATTN: Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 201552
Shaker Heights, OH 44120